Good morning and happy Monday! I hope everyone had a nice and restorative weekend. I hope everyone feels jazzed up about green soup, and all of the wonderful variations that can emerge from it.
Last week, I found myself with an abundance of melon. Not only watermelon, which was teeming in my fridge and my freezer and very often being blended into a frosty, but also fresh cantaloupe. I tend to overlook melons a lot in the summer, largely because I’m so totally enchanted with berries that I can have eyes for no other kind of fruit. But cantaloupe is really lovely: sweet, light, rich in vitamins A and C, and very hydrating. I often snack on it during hot summer days, but I was randomly inspired to put it into a salad, and I was really happy with the way it turned out.
Originally, I was going to call this a “breakfast salad,” since that’s how I enjoyed it. But of course this could be an anytime-salad. You can make it more complex with the addition of hemp seeds, legumes, or fresh herbs, but it’s very nice with this simple preparation, too. I love the way nutty, chewy quinoa contrasts with the juicy and mellow cantaloupe. Almonds add crunch and seem to bring it all together; they’re a favorite for breakfast salads in general.
|Red Quinoa, Almond and Arugula Salad with Canteloupe|| |
- 1½ cups fresh cantaloupe, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1½ cups red quinoa (regular quinoa is also totally fine)
- 4 cups arugula
- ¼ cup slivered, crumbled, or sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons flax, hemp, or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1. Whisk together the oil, vinegar, syrup, and seasoning.
- 2. Divide the arugula, quinoa, and melon onto two serving plates. Sprinkle them with almonds and then drizzle the dressing over them. Serve 2.
Next time, I might add some parsley or mint to the salad (I’ve been putting mint into everything lately!). I love the texture of this dish:
I hope you enjoy this salad, at any time of day. This week, I’ll be bringing you a summery new salad dressing, a bunch of quick lunch ideas, and a new restaurant review. I’ll see you soon.