Twas the night before Christmas, and even if you have a holiday feast prepared for this evening, it’s never too early to start thinking about breakfast. I love festive breakfasts anytime, but they’re especially lovely on holiday mornings. Though I created the quinoa and coconut breakfast bowl pictured above early in the month, at my apartment in D.C., I had Christmas morning in mind. With the snowy sprinkling of coconut and those bright red pomegranate seeds, how could I not?
The star of this recipe is quinoa flakes, a handy ingredient that I keep well stocked at home. Quinoa flakes make a super quick and nutritious breakfast; they cook in about a minute, so they’re a go-to when I’m rushing out the door for work or for class. They also work really well in vegan burgers or “meat” balls. If you don’t have quinoa flakes, no problem. You could heat up pre-cooked, whole quinoa with some almond or coconut milk to get the same effect, and then top it with the coconut and pom seeds.
|Snowy Quinoa and Coconut Breakfast Bowl|| |
- ½ cup almond or coconut milk
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup quinoa flakes
- Dash sea salt
- 1-2 teaspoons maple syrup (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or Earth Balance (optional)
- 2 tablespoons shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1 heaping tablespoon pomegranate arils
- 1. Pour the almond or coconut milk and water, along with the salt, into a small pot. Bring to a boil. Add the quinoa flakes, and reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring constantly, till the liquid is absorbed (1-2 minutes).
- 2. Stir in the maple syrup and coconut oil or Earth Balance. Transfer the hot quinoa cereal to a serving bowl and top with the shredded coconut and pomegranate arils. Serve.
- The recipe, as listed, makes 1 serving, but it can be easily doubled or quadrupled.
Looking for more holiday breakfast ideas? Here are some of my favorites:
Whether you are celebrating Christmas tomorrow or not, I wish you a wonderful day. Happy holidays to everyone!