Cakey Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Blondies
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 12 cake-like blondies
- 1 cup light spelt, regular spelt, or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup neutral vegetable oil, such as safflower or grapeseed
- 1 cup pumpkin purée (use the rest of what’s in the can for oatmeal, a smoothie, soup, etc.)
- 3/4 cup maple syrup or agave syrup
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips (3/4 cup for the blondies, 1/4 cup for decorating the top of the cake)
Preheat your oven to 350F and lightly oil a 9 x 9 square baking dish.
Mix together the flours, baking powder and soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger in a large mixing bowl. Mix together the oil, pumpkin, maple syrup, water, and vinegar in a separate bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until you have a mostly smooth batter. Fold in 3/4 cup chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the baking pan and top with the remaining chocolate chips.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the top is lightly golden. Allow the cakey blondies to cook for at least an hour. Cut and serve.