Smoky Butternut Squash, Tofu & Apple Breakfast Hash
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 4 generous servings
- 2 tablespoons neutral vegetable oil such as grapeseed or refined avocado, divided
- 1-1 1/4 lbs butternut squash peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large or 2 small apples any variety, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 8 ounces Nasoya Organic Cubed Super Firm Tofu
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos substitute low sodium tamari
- 1 white or yellow onion chopped
- 12 ounces about 3 cups shaved Brussels sprouts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Black pepper or cayenne pepper to taste
- For serving optional: Toast, an English muffin, a whole grain, hot sauce
Preheat your oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment or foil. Toss the squash and apple with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Transfer the mixture to the baking sheet and add salt and pepper. Roast the squash and apples for 35 minutes, or until tender and crisping at the edges.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu cubes, smoked paprika, and coconut aminos or tamari. Cook the cubes, stirring frequently, for 5-6 minutes, or until they're getting crispy. Add the onion. Continue to cook for 5 minutes, or until the onions are tender. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring frequently, or until the sprouts are crisp tender.
When they're ready, fold in the roasted squash and apples. Add the vinegar. Stir everything well, then taste and add salt and pepper (black or cayenne, depending on how hot you want the hash to be) and additional vinegar as needed. Serve with toast, a grain, and hot sauce if you like.