I am so glad that yesterday’s round up of holiday recipes was a hit! But if you were left wanting more, here’s a beautiful, easy vegan and raw appetizer to share with guests at any point in the next week or two (or year round, if you like). They’re endive “boats” stuffed with a dollop of salty, creamy rosemary cashew cheese, thin slivers of apple, and bright, tangy pomegranate seeds. Colorful, flavorful, and healthy.
The cashew cheese in this recipe is just a simple variation on the cashew cheese I always make. If you don’t care for rosemary, you could feel free to substitute other herbs of your choice. Thyme, dill, and basil all work perfectly.
|Easy Raw, Vegan Appetizer: Endive Boats with Rosemary Cashew Cheese, Shaved Apple, and Pomegranate Seeds|| |
- 1½ cup cashews, soaked for a few hours and drained
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 small apple, grated on a box grater or sliced thinly on a mandolin
- ¾ cup pomegranate arils
- 16 endive leaves
- 1. Place the cashews in a food processor and pulse to break them down. Add the salt, garlic if desired, nutritional yeast, and lemon. Run the motor and drizzle in about a third of a cup water, or as needed, until the cashews take on a creamy, even texture (similar to a pate, or a thick hummus). You'll probably need to stop a few times to scrape the bowl down.
- 2. Pulse the rosemary into the cashew cheese and set aside.
- 3. Arrange the endive leaves on a serving platter. Fill each one with two tablespoons of the cashew cheese. Cover each with a small amount of grated apple and about a scant tablespoon of pomegranate arils. Serve.
Whether you or your guests enjoy raw foods or not, it’s hard not to be delighted with all of the texture and flavor in this appetizer dish. I’m excited to start serving it to friends.
Apologies for the express post tonight, but I’m home now, and the city is calling. I’ll be back tomorrow with a round up of post-holiday breakfast ideas. Wishing you all a happy and warm evening.