Last year over July 4th weekend, I prepared a red, white and blue parfait with buckwheat and fruit puddings. I didn’t make anything with quite so patriotic a color scheme this year, but I did make a tasty breakfast over the holiday weekend, and it also took the form of a parfait. This one was a quinoa, avocado vanilla pudding, and berry parfait, and I think it’s going to be a new breakfast favorite.
I am no stranger to the delights of avocado pudding, though I typically enjoy it in the chocolate variety (see my chocomole post here). That said, said, avocados blend up nicely with berries, bananas and other fruits, and as I just discovered, they also taste wonderful with fresh vanilla bean. The pudding in this parfait would also make a nice snack, a refreshing dessert, or a nice breakfast component. If you don’t have fresh vanilla bean, vanilla extract is totally fine.
|Quinoa, Avocado Vanilla Pudding, and Berry Breakfast Parfait (GF)|| |
- 1 large Haas avocado, pit removed and flesh scooped out
- 2 pitted dates
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped out, or ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- ½ cup almond milk + extra as needed
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 cups berries of choice (sliced strawberries, raspberries, blueberries)
- Blend all pudding ingredients in a high speed blender till smooth. Add more almond milk as needed.
- Layer a quarter cup of quinoa at the bottom of a clear glass or mug. Place a ¼ cup of the pudding over the quinoa, then top with a quarter cup of berries. Repeat the layers, then repeat the whole process in your three additional mugs.
This is equally adorable with blueberries, raspberries, or blueberries. Choose whichever you like the best. I hope you all had lovely holiday weekends, and that you’ll enjoy this unique breakfast as much as I do!
Images courtesy of Lighter.