This recipe is inspired by my friends at Gouter, DC’s own raw, vegan treat & tonic company (you can read my profile here). This fall, they shared a sample of their pumpkin spice latte with me, which is made with dates, almond milk, local cold brew coffee from Junius coffee. Pumpkin and coffee, you say? Two of my favorite things in the world? It was love at first sip, and I resolved to quickly make my own version at home.
My iced pumpkin spice latte is a little different from the latte that inspired it, since I use real pumpkin in it (rather than a combination of pumpkin pie spice and turmeric, which is what the folks at Gouter use). It’s therefore a little thicker, and it’s not all raw. I’d say that it falls someplace in between iced coffee and a smoothie–it’s not thick, but it has a tiny bit of richness and texture. It’s sweet, spicy, and altogether delicious. A delightful alternative to morning coffee as usual.
Vegan Iced Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 2 cups homemade almond milk you can substitute commercial almond milk
- 3/4 cup cold brew coffee or coffee that has been brewed normally, allowed to cool, and refrigerated till ice cold
- 3/4 cup cooked pumpkin puree
- 4 large medjool dates pitted, or 3 tablespoons maple syrup or agave
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or seeds from one fresh vanilla bean
- Blend all ingredients in a blender till smooth. If you're working with a regular blender, maple syrup may blend up more easily than dates.
- Adjust spices and ingredients to taste -- you may want to add more pumpkin, or (if you're me) more coffee 🙂
- Makes 3-4 servings. Recipe can be halved or doubled as needed. Leftover latte will keep in the fridge for up to three days.
- Shatter proof, with replacement guarantee
- Durable and lasting: no landfill waste
- Made with BPA-free and non-toxic materials and colors
- Dentist and Hygienist recommended
- Non-porous and hypo-allergenic
- Dishwasher safe
I love sipping iced coffee and smoothies with eco-friendly straws, and I love the Simply Straws colors and designs. I especially like the wide, 8″ straw, since my smoothies tend to be quite thick, and normal straws don’t usually cut it!
- 1-16oz. Mason jar with handle
- 1-Lid with straw hole
- 1-Skinny clear bent 8″ straw
- 1-Classic random color 8″ straw
- 1-Wide random color 8″ straw
It’s a sweet and thoughtful gift for any smoothie lover in your life, or any eco-conscious friend. I’ve already put my mason jar to use quite often–notably, to sip my iced pumpkin latte.
Check out the Vegan Cuts website for more details, plus a slew of other fantastic holiday gift ideas for the veggie in your life! And I hope you enjoy the latte. I’ll be back tomorrow with Weekend Reading.