This coconut milk yogurt should really be called “cheater’s” coconut milk yogurt,” or something like that. You see, homemade yogurt is supposed to involve fermentation, or kefir grains, or a yogurt maker, or any number of proper and time-honored yogurt-making techniques. I used none of the above. This yogurt is what you should make when you don’t have time or energy for something truly authentic, but you do want the taste and texture of thick, creamy Greek yogurt in the morning. And to sweeten the deal, I didn’t quite forget about the gut-friendly bugs that contribute to yogurt’s popularity. You can use several capsules of probiotic powder in the recipe, or a splash of kefir, to sneak in good bacteria. And a squeeze of lemon for that characteristic sour taste.
In short, this yogurt is full of shortcuts. But in the end, it stacks up pretty well to the real thing. And it’s a heck of a lot tastier (I think) than commercial coconut milk yogurt.
There’s only really one trick to getting this yogurt right: stick two cans of coconut milk (full fat only) in the fridge overnight. In the morning, remove only the solidified parts (none of the thinner liquid) and place them into a food processor or blender. From there, you’re only a few ingredients away from a very tasty, rich, and satisfying morning treat.
Easy, Homemade Coconut Milk Yogurt (vegan, gluten free, soy free, dairy free)
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 probiotic capsules contents emptied, OR 1 teaspoon probiotic powder, OR 1/4 cup water or coconut kefir
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup coconut nectar, or agave (or to taste)
- 1. Place the coconut milk in the fridge overnight. In the morning, scoop out the solidified part from both cans and place it into a food processor or blender.
- 2. Add remaining ingredients and blend yogurt till smooth. Add a little water to thin if desired. Serve with fresh berries, granola, or other toppings of choice.
I should say for the record that I also really adore my coconut yogurt with fresh Thai coconut meat. But this recipe is all about efficiency and ease, and within those confines, I cannot imagine an easier vegan yogurt recipe than this one. I hope you guys will enjoy it
See you tomorrow, friends.